Home » About Guardian SunGuard » About Guardian » History

History

Guardian:
Making History Since 1932

In 1932, Guardian Industries began as the Guardian Glass Company, making windshields for the auto industry.

In 1970, we took a bold step forward, becoming the first company to enter the U.S. primary glass industry in nearly 50 years. Our plant in Carleton, Michigan, began manufacturing float glass: molten glass floated on a bath of liquid tin. Since then, Guardian added 27 float glass lines and built or acquired more than 15 glass
fabrication plants.

Guardian began diversifying in 1980, opening several fiberglass insulation plants throughout the country. The acquisition of Builder Marts of America (1998) and
Cameron Ashley Building Products (2000), the forerunners of Guardian Building Products Distribution, gave us a strong and growing presence in the distribution of building materials throughout North America.

In the 90's, Guardian acquired Automotive Moulding Company of Warren, Michigan,
and Lab Radio, in Valencia, Spain, both automotive trim manufacturers. With those purchases, we became the first company to manufacture both glass and trim products
for the automotive industry. Guardian remains one of the top global automotive suppliers.

Today, you’ll find Guardian glass, products and systems at work in vehicles, buildings and homes all over the world. And we’re excited to think about what’s coming next.

    
Hanseatic Trade Center Hamburg
Light Blue 52
Our Products In ActionOur Products In Action

Guardian Europe
19, rue du Puits Romain
L-8070 Bertrange
G.D. of Luxembourg
Tel. +352 28 111 1